I do not usually eat vegetarian dishes because I have a (biased) perspective that they will be bland and dull. I came up with this recipe simply because I was trying to loose weight after indulging myself for a week during my trip to Spain in February.
In fact, this simple Asian style mushroom tofu stew was so delicious that it surprised me. It proves that I was wrong to think that vegetarian dishes can not be as good as dishes containing meat.
Serve it over rice or with udon. Scrumptious.
- 50g enoki mushrooms
- 50g black oyster mushrooms
- 100g soft tofu
- 1/2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tbs oyster sauce
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- minced garlic, salt, sesame oil
- Heat oil, saute minced garlic until pale brown
- Add mushrooms (washed and drained) and a pinch of salt, saute
- Add 1/2 tbs oyster sauce after the mushrooms shrink and juice comes out
- Add tofu, soy sauce and approximately 200ml water
- Dissolve cornstarch with approximately 50ml water, add the solution once the stew starts to boil.
- Keep boiling for 5-7mins, add drops of sesame oil, remove from heat
Garnish with furikake (a Japanese seasoning）if desire
Serve with rice or noodles. Either way, it will be delicious.