Angel food cake is relatively healthier than other types of cakes because it does not contain butter or egg yolks. It’s high in protein and low in fat, perfect as a breakfast/dessert option for people who are working on their fitness. This recipe only requires four ingredients. It uses less sugar than conventional angel cakes, thanks to the natural sweetness of bananas. This banana angel food cake is literally a treat without guilt.
Ingredients (makes 2 mini 4-inch cakes):
- 60g mashed ripe banana
- 6g sugar (add more sugar if desire)
- 3 large egg whites (110g)
- 37g all purpose flour
- Beat egg whites, add sugar in 3 additions, until stiff peaks form.
- Add sifted flour.
- Fold in flour carefully with a spatula, do not overmix.
- Add mashed banana.
- Fold in with spatula. The batter should be very thick.
- Pour the batter into baking pans, bake at 165 degrees Celsius.
- If using mini 4-inch baking pans, bake for about 20 min until golden and toothpick comes out clean. Bake for longer if using larger pans.
Invert baking pans on a baking rack, let cool and remove cakes from pans.
Top with low fat or non fat Greek yogurt and fruits!
True indulgence without guilt.