To be honest, I rarely find plain scones attractive. I would usually incorporate ingredients such as tea, fruits or cheese to original scones in order to make them taste more interesting. Since summer is here, I think it would be a good idea to add fresh blueberries and lime zest to scones.
These blueberry scones only carry subtle sweetness, but are nevertheless mouthwatering and satisfying. When the blueberries explode in your mouth, heavenly!
Ingredients (makes 4 small):
- 120 g all purpose flour
- 45 g butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 50 g blueberries
- 1 tsb baking powder
- 1/4 tsb baking soda
- 12 g sugar
- zest of 1/2 a lime/ lemon
Adding 12g sugar will make the cones only slightly sweet, add more if desire.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir and mix dry ingredients, add grated lime zest, mix well.
- Add cubed cold butter.
- Mix with fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add cold milk and blueberries.
- Roughly combine all the ingredients by folding with a spatula, do not overwork the dough. It’s okay if there’s remaining dry flour (well there should be).
- Transfer dough to a floured surface, gently roll it out.
- Fold in half, roll it out, then repeat once or twice until the dough becomes cohesive.
- Cut into 4 2-cm pieces. Sprinkle more sugar on top if desire.
- Bake at 430℉ for 10-15 min until golden.
Refreshing, filling, these scones are perfect for hot summer days.
Serve with crème fraîche, Greek yogurt, or jam.