Double fromage cheesecake has become very popular in some Asian cities. Allegedly it originates from a Japanese bakery called LeTAO, but I’m not 100% sure who first came up with this delicious cheesy cheesecake. It basically consists of 3 parts: sponge cake base, baked cheesecake and no bake cheesecake on top.
Although it looks very complex to make, it’s actually not that difficult. Although making a double fromage cheesecake is time consuming, it totally worth every single minute of input. Cheesecake parts have a smooth, silky texture and just melt in you mouth. And it won’t be too rich like regular cheesecakes. Try making this fancy cheesecake yourself, I’m sure your family and friends will be amazed!
1. The Sponge Cake
Ingredients (makes 1 6-inch cake):
- 3 large eggs
- 30g milk
- 30g pastry flour
- 25g canola oil
- 30g sugar
Oil Free Version:
- 2 large eggs
- 60g pastry flour
- 50g sugar
- Matcha/ chocolate flavor: replace 5g of flour with matcha/cacao powder
- Oil free version is easier to make into fine crumbs (to cover the cake)
Recipe for making the sponge/chiffon base please check Layer Cake with Strawberries and Mascarpone Frosting
Slice sponge cake into a 1-1.5cm thick piece, place back to the baking pan. Save the rest for later usage.
2. The baked cheesecake
- 150g cream cheese
- 30g whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsb pastry flour/ matcha powder/ cocoa powder
- 50g sugar
To make earl grey flavor baked cheesecake layer, add 1-2 bags of earl grey tea into original recipe (without the bag itself of course)
- Combine room softened cream cheese (room temperature), egg, sugar, whipping cream in a bowl.
- Mix everything with hand mixer, add flour/ matcha powder/ cocoa powder. Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter over the sponge cake base in the baking pan, bake at 160 C for 20-30 min until it’s set in the middle. Let cool completely before making the top layer.
3. No bake cheesecake
- 80g mascarpone cheese
- 160g whipping cream
- 40g sugar
- ~50ml water
- 1 tsb gelatin powder
- Dissolve gelatin powder with warm water.
- Beat mascarpone cheese (room temperature) until smooth. Add gelatin liquid to mascarpone, combine and mix well.
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into mascarpone cheese mixture. Pour 3/4 of the batter over baked cheesecake, refrigerate for a couple of hours until it’s set.
- Spread the rest of no bake cheesecake batter over top and side of the cake. Crumb the leftover sponge cake with a sieve or fine grater.
- Press the cake crumbs over the entire cake. Refrigerate or freeze the cake before serving.
I like incorporating 1 tsb orange blossom water into no bake cheesecake batter. The subtle floral taste mateches perfectly with earl grey flavor!
This double fromage cheesecake is definitely some next level dessert you can make at home.
Slightly freeze the cake, it tastes like ice cream, heavenly…
Bake with Qiu