Layer cakes are actually not that hard to make. Consider a layered cake as a basic sponge cake with whipped cream and some fruits, sounds much more easier, doesn’t it?
Making small changes can effortlessly bring your cakes to a next level, for example, incorporating earl grey tea into your cake batter and adding mascarpone to the frosting. You can easily impress your family and friends with this layer cake recipe!
For the 6” Sponge Cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 30 g milk
- 30 g pastry flour
- 25 g canola oil
- 30 g sugar
- To make earl grey chiffon cake: add 1 tsb earl grey tea to milk, microwave until warm, let cool
- Matcha/ chocolate chiffon: replace 5 g of flour with matcha/cacao powder
- Separate egg whites and yolks. Add little sugar (included in the recipe) to egg yolk, mix with hand mixer.
- Add canola oil, mix until the batter becomes thicker and smooth.
- Add prepared milk tea/milk, mix well (small bubbles are normal).
- Sift in pastry flower, mix (at low speed or manually) until batter is smooth.
- Add sugar to egg whites in 3 additions, beat until stiff peaks form (or nearly).
- Do not wash the beaters just yet. Mix the remaining egg whites on beaters with egg yolk mixture (making the batter more stable).
- Fold 1/3 beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour mixed batter back into beaten egg whites, fold in batter until it appears homogeneous.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased 6” cake pan, bake at 160°C for about 30 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. (Cover with aluminum foil if the top might get burned.)
- Completely cool down the cake upside down.
For the mascarpone frosting:
- 70 g mascarpone cheese
- 140 g whipping cream
- 25-30 g sugar
- 1 tsb orange blossom / rose water optional
- Combine and mix mascarpone cheese with little sugar with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add chipping cream and remaining sugar, beat until stiff peaks form and frosting becomes smooth. Add orange blossom / rose water at this step too.
- Then you can assemble the layer cake however you like, be creative.
Homemade desserts can be prettier than store-bought ones right?
This layer earl grey chiffon cake with strawberries and mascarpone cream is just perfect for the summer.
Pretty Dessert Recipes