I am actually a big fan of anything with spinach, cheese and egg, like omelet or frittata. You just can’t go wrong with this combination. This sunny-side-up egg and baby-spinach flatbread is scrumptious, healthy and easy. Just love the crispy crust, savory toppings and runny egg yolk. I think it will be a perfect light brunch/lunch option.
Ingredients (serves 1):
- (For the crust) 45-50g all purpose flour
- 1g quick yeast
- a pinch of salt
- warm water
- (Toppings) 45g baby spinach
- 1 large egg
- 20g shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- Combine flour, yeast, salt in a bowl.
- Pour in warm water slowly, knead until a smooth, non-stick dough forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm location until dough doubles in size, around 1-2 hours.
- In a non-stick pan, saute a handful of spinach with a pinch of salt until the spinach shrinks.
- The spinach looks like this.
- Roll the dough out (into any shape you like), top with prepared spinach and shredded cheese. Leave some space in the middle for the egg. Bake at 400 °F for 7-10 min.
- Take the flatbread out from the oven and crack an egg in the middle. Sprinkle salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Continue baking for another 10 min or so.
- The flatbread is done when the egg white is set and the crust is golden brown. If you don’t like runny egg yolk, add the egg from the beginning, together with spinach and cheese.
I really think few words can express how delicious it is. So try it yourself, you won’t regret!