Banana bread/ loaf/ muffins found in coffee shops or bakeries are often calorie bombs, although they sound healthy (some how)…A piece of banana loaf from Starbucks contains more than 400 calories! That just repels me from buying banana breads, although they do satisfy my sweet tooth.
My version of healthy banana muffins contain no more than 150 calories each. They’re moist, filling, earthy. I added some cream cheese cubes just to make the taste more interesting.
These banana muffins will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth without making you feel guilty.
Ingredients (makes 6 medium & 2 small muffins):
- 2 medium bananas (approx. 190g peeled)
- 24g corn oil
- 1 large egg
- 72g milk/ almond milk
- 35g sugar
- Cream Cheese
- 150 pastry/ all purpose flour
- 1tsb baking powder
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
* Use overly ripe bananas to get the best result. Add more sugar if desire.
- Combine egg and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat until foamy.
- Add mashed bananas and oil.
- Fold and mix with a spatula. Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon) with an egg whisk.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture, combine well with a spatula. The batter should be very thick.
- Pour batter into muffin liners, add 3-4 pieces cubed cream cheese (approx 0.5 cm).
- Add more batter on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 180 °C for 25-30 min until golden and toothpick comes out clean.
I suggest serving those muffins when they’re completely cooled. They taste better this way. It is also a bit difficult to detach muffins from muffin liners when hot because little oil was used.
Filling, sweet, delicious and healthy. These muffins will leave you satisfied while not feeling guilty.