This Japanese style beef short rib curry is probably one of the best curries I’ve ever made. The curry sauce is rich, yet mild, harmoniously balanced out with a bit of tomato paste. The beef meat is cooked to so tender that it falls off the bone easily.
This recipe calls for Japanese curry roux which is found in most grocery stores, so you don’t need to gather many different spices. This make life easier, right? Japanese curry has a very distinct, unique taste that’s slightly milder, sweeter than curries from other countries. If you like curry, I am sure you will fall in love with this easy to make, hearty and scrumptious dish!
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- 400g beef short ribs, cut into 3-4 cm chunks
- 1/2 medium onion (around 200g)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 50g Japanese curry mix / block
- 1tsb tomato paste
- 1tsb sugar
- 60ml coconut cream
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium potato
- approximately 600ml water
- Beef short ribs with nice marbling pattern will provide the best texture and taste. Use the thick cuts, not thin cuts for grilling.
- I used S&B brand curry mix / block, which is a very common brand.
Heat about 1/2 tbs oil in a pot over medium heat, add beef short ribs. Brown beef on all sides (about 8 minutes), then transfer to a plate.
Add diced onion, minced garlic to the same pot, saute until onion becomes translucent, about 4 minutes. Then add chopped Japanese curry mix, tomato paste, stir to combine.
Return beef short ribs to the pot, stir until everything is well mixed.
Pour in hot water, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for around 40 minutes.
Add potato and carrot chunks. Again, bring liquid to a boil, then cover with lid, continue simmering for about 40 minutes, until beef is fork tender.
Curry becomes creamy and slightly thickened at this point. Pour in the coconut cream, add sugar, stir to mix. Continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Remove from heat, serve hot.
- I like softer and tenderer potato, if you prefer firmer taste, add potato & carrot later. For example, cook beef for 1 hour, then add potato & carrot, cook for 20-30 minutes.
- You may want to add more water during cooking to make sure ingredients are all covered in curry.
- Japanese curry is like a stew. If you prefer thicker curries, cook curry over high heat to reduce sauce. It’s important to taste to make sure it doesn’t get too salty!
Enjoy the beef short rib curry with steamed rice, bread or naan. I think it goes well with almost everything!
Meaty, fork-tender beef short ribs covered in flavorful, creamy curry, the dish is so delicious that it makes you want to mop up any remaining yummy sauce on your plate.