I am a fan of kimchi because we can make a wide range of dishes with it. Kimchi fried rice is a common dish found in Korean restaurants, but it’s actually very easy to make at home. You can use almost any kind of protein you prefer, like chicken, beef, pork, shrimps (not fish though). It’s flavorful, filling and healthy. Once you try it out, there is really no point ordering this dish in restaurants…
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 servings cooked rice*
- 70g kimchi
- 2 tbs kimchi juice
- 100g thinly sliced beef
- soy sauce to taste
- eggs optional
- chopped scallions to garnish
* cold cooked rice is ideal for any stir fried rice dish
- Heat a little bit of oil in a non-stick pan, add thinly sliced beef, saute (beef contains fat, thus no need to add much oil).
- Add rice, chopped kimchi, kimchi juice and soysauce once beef changes color. Stir fry over medium heat.
- Continue stir-frying for several minutes. The rice should appear dry.
- Cook sunny side up eggs if desire.
Sprinkle with chopped scallions to make the dish look more tempting.
I think kimchi dishes are perfect for the summer when you don’t have a big appetite because of the refreshing sour taste of kimchi (at least that’s what I think). This fried rice dish is healthy, filling and high in protein. Just satisfying.