Bulgogi is probably one of the most popular and well known Korean beef dishes. It normally consists of marinated slices of beef grilled on a stove-top griddle or stir-fried in a pan, along with vegetables.
Bulgogi is an easy to make, balanced, hearty and delicious Korean home style dish. With this simple recipe you will make bulgogi that tastes just like the ones found in restaurants!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 100g thinly sliced beef
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1-2 stalk scallions, cut into ~4cm pieces
For the marinade
- 30g peeled Asian pear / apple
- 30g onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tbs rice wine/cooking wine
- 2 tsb sugar
- Normally thinly sliced rib eye is used to make bulgogi, about 2 mm thick. If you can’t find thinly sliced beef, try freezing block of meat so it’s easier to slice
- Increase amount of pear/apple/sugar if you prefer sweeter bulgogi
- Add 1 tsb Mirin to boost flavor, this is optional
- You can replace beef with pork or chicken if preferred
Blend all ingredients for the marinade in a mixer or food processor until smooth.
Place beef in a bowl and pour the marinade over it. Gently massage the meat so the marinade fully covers the meat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, marinate for at least 1 hour.
Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add sliced onion, carrots and scallion, sauté
Add marinated beef (and remaining marinade if you wish) once onion slices become transparent, sauté over medium-high heat
Remove from heat once beef is fully cooked (it cooks fast). Garnish with white sesame seeds and additional chopped scallion if desired.
Serve with a bowl of rice. The beef bulgogi is flavorful, filling and scrumptious. One single dish contains protein and vegetables, bulgogi will be perfect as a quick meal option.
If you are a meat lover, this dish will instantly become one of your favourites. Making restaurant-quality beef bulgogi is so simple, why bother spending more money elsewhere?