Molten lava bun, aka Liu Sha Bao (流沙包), has become one of the most popular dim sum dishes in recent years. The filling consisting of salted egg yolk, butter, milk powder, etc. has a distinct sweet & savoury taste and a luxurious creamy texture. This time I tried making a French Toast with molten lava filling and it is ABSOLUTELY to-die-for.
Golden, lava-like filling oozing out when you cut open the molten lava French toast, imagine how tempting it is! Sorry, don’t just imagine, you really need to try it out!
Ingredients for the filling (serves 3-4)
- 3 salted egg yolk (40g)
- 25g milk powder
- 30-35g butter
- 25-35g sugar
- 60-70ml milk
- 1 tsb gelatin powder (~5g)
Microwave salted egg yolks for 20-30 sec (remember to cover the container with plastic wrap) until egg yolks are cooked (no longer translucent), mash with a fork.
Combine milk and gelatin powder in a bowl, place the bowl in a hot water bath, stir milk until gelatin powder fully dissolves. Place all the ingredients for the filling in a blender, blend until smooth. Or combine everything with a fork / spatula. It has a paste-like consistency.
To make the French toast: Spread one slice of toast with salted egg yolk filling, place another slice on top, forming a sandwich. In another bowl, whisk together 1 large egg and 30-50 ml milk, dip sandwich in the mixture, coating each side completely.
Melt 1/2 tsb butter (or as much as you like) in a pan/skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwich until golden on both sides (gently press the sandwich with a spatula during cooking to make sure the filling melts).
- I used vacuum-packed salted egg yolks, they are usually found at Chinese grocery stores.
- Regular toast slices are more ideal than thick ones. They help transfer heat and make sure filling melts.
- Add sugar to egg & milk mixture for dipping the toast, if you have a big sweet tooth.
- Store leftover filling in the fridge. Of course, it will set due to gelatin, but it’s ok. You can use it directly out of the fridge or warm it up so it’s easier to spread.
Don’t wait too long. Enjoy when it’t hot!