Pad gra prow (aka pad ka prao, spelling varies…) is one of my favorite Thai street foods. It consists of ground meat (usually pork) stir fried with Thai holy basil leaves, chili peppers, garlic, fish sauce, etc. , served with steamed rice and fried egg.
Pad gra prao is loaded with flavors. It is super satisfying and scrumptious. What’s more, the ingredients are easy to gather, and the dish can be done in just 10 minutes. With this simple recipe of pad gra prow, you can enjoy authentic Thai street food at home!
Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 100g ground beef*
- a handful of holy basil/ basil leaves
- 40g chopped shallots/ onions
- 1-2 small chilies, chopped
- 1/2 tbs cooking wine
- about 1tsb each: oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce
- pinch of sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large egg
*Meat of your choice: beef, pork, chicken etc.
- Heat little oil in a pan, add minced garlic, chopped chili and onions, saute over medium high heat.
- When the onions are slightly browned, add ground meat and cooking wine. Break meat into small pieces with a spatula, saute.
- Add fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar when the meat is half cooked, keep stir-frying. Add splash of water if it’s too dry. Add basil leaves when the meat is cooked. (You can taste pad gra prao and adjust seasoning)
- Turn off oven. Stir-fry with remaining heat until basil are just wilted. Serve immediately.
There is usually fat left in the pan from the meat, fry an egg with the residual fat. Doesn’t the dish look exactly like those served in Thai restaurants?
Mix runny egg yolk with pad gra praw, it’s heavenly!
Great web page and easy to follow recipes well done