Recently, I visited a super popular cookie shop in Paris named Scoop Me a Cookie. Seeing the huge lineup in front of the store intrigued me, as it is not very easy for American dessert shops to gain popularity in PARIS. So I tried its Wee Treat cookie with chocolate chunk and candied orange peel, it did live up to the hype. Slightly crunchy on the edges, gooey on the inside. The chocolate chunk melts as you break the cookie, the giant orange peel brings refreshing tastes – These orange chocolate cookies are utterly addictive.
I eventually recreated the cookie at home. It’s surprisingly easy and convenient. You can even prepare and refrigerate the cookie dough, then bake whenever you want (within 10 days). “Chilling” the cookie dough for more than 48 hours is actually a trick that helps release the delicious flavours of this unique cookie.
Ingredients (makes about 15 cookies) :
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g sugar
- 200g all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3g baking powder
- 3g baking soda
- 1/4tsp vanilla beans
- 4g sea salt
- 100g each: dark chocolate
- candied orange peels
- You can replace vanilla beans with 1tsp vanilla extract
- To ensure best flavours, use half regular sugar and half brilliant yellow sugar/brown sugar
- Combine softened butter with sugar mix and vanilla, beat until fluffy and velvety. Pour in whisked egg in 2-3 additions, to ensure egg liquid is well incorporated into the batter.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt. Combine dry ingredients with the batter. Incorporate dry ingredients into the batter with a spatula. Mix in the dark chocolate chunks and orange peels (2-3 cm cubes).
- Transfer cookie dough into a freezer bag, seal and refrigerate for at least 2 days to enhance flavours. To bake, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, roll 45-55g dough into a ball. Place on baking sheet, leave space in between each.
- Bake at 180 ℃ for 12 minutes until edges and the bottom has turned golden brown. Let cool and enjoy!
- If using an air fryer, bake at 170 C for 15 minutes or so. Make sure to check doneness once in a while, because it’s harder to control temperature of an air fryer.
Enjoy the heavenly combination of gooey texture and a harmonious balance between the sweetness of chocolate and the refreshing tang of oranges. These orange chocolate cookies are perfect for those who enjoy a unique twist on the classic chocolate chunk cookie.
Read Chinese version here