I am a big fan of mochi, just love its texture. Recently I’ve been trying to incorporate mochi into desserts and the results are always surprisingly good.
I shared a mochi stuffed no knead bread recipe a while ago and today I‘m sharing this mochi stuffed crumble muffin recipe. They’re definitely not your average muffins. Don’t think I’ve seen these muffins anywhere else before. Your friends and family will for sure love these unique, interesting muffins!
- 40g glutinous rice flour
- 7g cornstarch
- 1/4 cup milk
- 15g sugar
- 5g butter
- Combine and mix all the ingredients except butter
- Transfer batter to a greased container, microwave 1-2 min until it’s set, stir halfway through. When it’s cooled a bit, add a small piece of butter, mix until it’s fully incorporated.
flour, ground almonds, sugar and cold butter 12g each
- Formula for crumble topping is 1:1:1:1 of flour, ground almonds, sugar and butter, easy to remember
- For matcha flavor: substitute 1 tsb flour with matcha powder
- Combine and mix all the dry ingredients
- Add cold butter (cut into small pieces)
- Work into dry mixture with your fingertips until pea-sized lumps form, refrigerate for later use
For the muffins
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 60g milk
- 95g ap flour
- 1/2 tbs matcha powder
- 1 tsb baking powder
- 65-70g sugar
Use any milk you like: milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc.
- Soften butter in room temperature, combine with sugar, beat until butter becomes fluffy and has a yellowish-white color.
- Add whisked egg (room temp.) in several additions, make sure the egg is well incorporated each time.
- Sift in half of dry ingredients (flour, matcha powder, baking powder), combine with mixer (low speed).
- Pour in milk, mix at low speed with mixer. Then add remaining dry ingredients, mix with mixer.
- Fill 1/2 muffin cups with the batter, than add 15-20g prepared mochi to each.
- Cover mochi with remaining batter, add crumble toppings. Bake at 180 C for 25-30 min
These muffins taste the best when hot. Let the magic happen:
Melting mochi, soft muffins and crumble top together create a very interesting, one of a kind texture.
Black sesame flavored muffins with original crumble topping are also worth trying. Recipe for making black sesame muffins: here
Bake with me