I love carbs, love bread, do you? Some people might think that you will need a bread machine to make good breads. But in fact, without any bread machine or much kneading, you can still make soft, delicious bread!
This Asian-inspired bread has mochi inside! The mochi melts when it’s hot, it tastes heavenly with the bread. When you crave for carbs, this is your savior.
For the bread (makes 2 large loaves)
- 4-5g (1/2 tbs) yeast
- 20g sugar
- 60-65g warm water
- 300g bread/AP flour
- 1 large egg
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 20g melted butter
Hot water or milk will kill the yeast. Test temperature using your finger, water / milk should be slightly warm to touch, but not hot.
- Whisk the egg.
- Place the yeast and part of the sugar in a cup/bowl, pour in warm water. Leave for 5 minutes until it froths.
- Combine and mix flour, remaining sugar, salt in a bowl.
- Add liquid ingredients: warm milk, whisked egg, yeast solution, melted butter.
- Mix with a wooden spoon. The batter will be very sticky and thick.
- Cover bowl with a wet (clean) towel and place in a warm place to rise for 1.5 – 2 hours or until almost tripled in volume.
- Dust work surface and your hands with flour, scrape raised dough on work surface, roll it out to get rid of air inside. Dough should be smooth, non stick (if too sticky add more flour. Divide dough by half.
For the taro mochi filling:
- 30-40 g taro paste
- 80 g glutinous rice flour
- 15 g cornstarch
- 1/2 cut milk
- 25 g sugar
- 5-10 g butter
- Combine and mix glutinous rice flour, cornstarch, milk, sugar in a bowl.
- Transfer batter to a greased container, microwave 1-2 min or until mochi is set (no liquid, sticky). Cool down a bit, add a small cube of butter and mix with mochi.
- Wrap taro paste with mochi and mix it however you want. It doesn’t have to be perfectly combined.
- Roll out one dough, place 1/2 taro mochi on the dough, then roll from top to bottom to form a loaf. Repeat with the other half.
- Dust bread top with extra flour, cut several gashes (or not, up to you).
- Rise in warm place until bread doubles in volume.
- Bake at 180 C for 20-25 min until fully cooked.
This mochi stuffed bread tastes better when hot, because mochi melts! Love the texture of melting mochi!
Home made food just can’t be beat……
- Healthy cod fish cakes 香煎鳕鱼饼
- Chinese BBQ Pork 简易蜜汁叉烧
- Sake steamed clams 深夜食堂 酒蒸蛤蜊
- Pasta alle vongole / Pasta with clams
- 盐焗鸡 Easy Chinese Yanju spiced shredded chicken