Tomato basil sauce is the perfect pasta sauce for the summer. It’s fresh, tasty and relatively healthier than most creamy white pasta sauce.
I added a little pancetta to the dish and it definitely helped add more flavor to the pasta. Time to get your pasta fix with this recipe!
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 serving pasta
- 100g tomatoes, diced
- 30g pancetta
- a large handful basil leaves
- minced garlic to taste
- 1-1 1/2 ketchup
- Parmesan cheese to taste
Choose any type of pasta you like. I made some fresh pasta (recipe included in this article).
- Heat few drops of oil in a small pan, add diced pancetta, saute until browned then add minced garlic and diced tomatoes, saute. In the meantime, start making pasta.
- Stir fry pancetta and tomatoes for a few minutes, add ketchup and water (just enough to cover ingredients) when tomatoes are softened, switch to medium heat.
- Stir the sauce occasionally, switch to low heat when the sauce is reduced and becomes thick.
- Add cooked pasta and fresh basil leaves.
- Stir and combine all ingredients, add grated Parmesan cheese, remove from heat when the basil leaves are wilted.
Make fresh pasta (such a pain)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1tsb olive oil
- salt to taste
- water as needed
- Place flour on a work surface and make a well in the center. Place the egg, olive oil and a pinch of salt in the well.
- Lightly beat the egg with a fork, gradually mix egg with the flour.
- Start kneading with hands when the fork doesn’t work anymore. Add drops of water if the dough is too dry. Knead at least 15 min until a smooth, elastic dough is formed. Cover with damp cloth or plastic wrap for at least 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out and make any pasta you like. I made some cavatelli becuase they’re simple and no machine needed.
Serve with more freshly grated Parmesan cheese, the tomato basil pasta dish tastes just as good as those in Italian restaurants.
How can homemade food not be delicious when you use fresh ingredients and put much effort in cooking?
Taste of Italy