Gnocchi actually has lots of variations across different regions in Italy, but the most common ingredients used are potatoes, flour and eggs. Gnocchi can be served as an appetizer or a main. I love the texture of gnocchi. It’s tender and light, yet filling.
I think gnocchi goes well with cream-based sauces. So today I will share a recipe of creamy mushroom gnocchi. Simple, delicious and satisfying, as always 🙂
Gnocchi Ingredients (serves 4 as main):
- 1 large Russet potato (approx. 500g with skin)
- 100g AP flour (more for kneading and rolling)
- 1/2 egg
- 1/2 tsb salt
- Dry and starchy potatoes, like russet potatoes, are preferable for making gnocchi.
- Preference for cooking potatoes: baking > steaming > boiling. Microwaving works too (and quicker).
- Cook the potato until tender, cut in half and let cool. Peel, mash with a fork or potato ricer. Spread mashed potato evenly. Drizzle 1/2 whisked egg over it. Sprinkle with salt.
- Mix everything with your hand.
- Sift flour over the mashed potato.
- Gently press and fold the dough until a cohesive soft dough forms. You may add a little bit of flour if it’s very sticky. Do not overwork the dough as if you’re kneading dough for making bread
- Divide dough into 4 portions, roll each piece on a floured surface into 1-cm thick rope. Then cut into bite size pieces (about 1.5 cm).
- To make grooved gnocchi, simply roll the gnocchi over the back of a fork. You can freeze some if can’t finish at once.
Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi (serves 1):
- 1 serving gnocchi
- 3-5 g butter
- 90 g Cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 shallot
- 7 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbs whipping cream or table cream
- 1 tsb grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup mushroom soaking water
- salt, pepper, parsley to taste
- Soak dried porcini mushrooms in warm water until they reconstitute.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced shallot once the pan is very hot. Saute.
- When shallot turns golden brown and translucent, add sliced mushrooms and drained porcini mushrooms, saute.
- Keep stir frying until mushrooms shrink.
- Now you can cook gnocchi by boiling them until they float on the surface. Fresh gnocchi takes about 3-5 mins.
- Add mushroom soaking water, cream and grated parmesan cheese to sauteed mushrooms, stir occasionally.
- When the sauce is reduced, add drained cooked gnocchi.
- Stir the gnocchi so that each piece is coated with sauce evenly. Add salt, parsley and pepper to taste. Now it’s ready to be served.
- Add a little bit truffle paste if desire. This will bring your gnocchi game to the next level!
Serve immediately. Adding freshly grated Parmesan and ground pepper on top will make the dish look pro…
Soft, flavorful. Simply delicious.
You can be your own Italian chef.
To make gnocchi with peas, simply boil green peas and gnocchi. Drain and add grated parmesan, salt and pepper. Serve with your favorite source of protein. Yum.
Other Italian food recipes
One Pot Meatballs with Mozzarella
Healthy version Spaghetti Carbonara