Classic pasta with a twist – salted egg yolk carbonara!
The salted egg yolk adds extra richness, as well as some unique Asian flavours, to this simple, traditional pasta dish. Only a few humble ingredients make a truly creamy, luscious, indulgent carbonara!
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 50g pancetta / guanciale
- 1 large egg
- 2tbs grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 salted egg yolk
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 serving pasta
- Combine and whisk egg and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Mash salted egg yolk (cooked) with a fork. If using raw salted egg yolk, microwave for 30 sec until cooked (cover bowl with plastic wrap).
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, cook pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick pan, add chopped pancetta / guanciale, sauté over medium heat, until crispy.
- Add mashed salted egg yolk, cook until it becomes bubbly.
- Add cooked pasta, 1tbs pasta water to the pan, toss to combine, then remove pan from heat. Quickly stir in the egg mixture, stirring constantly until the sauce is creamy and glossy. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Garnish pasta with parsley flakes or freshly chopped parsley. Add extra grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for sure.
I was simply experimenting, but the salted egg yolk carbonara turns out to be such an interesting dish!
Pasta with a twist: