I love roasted duck breast perfectly cooked to pink. This magret de canard (duck breast) recipe only requires few common ingredients and is super simple. The resulting duck breast is nevertheless juicy, tender and scrumptious. I also baked some sweet potato fries using the duck’s fat. Simply delicious!
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 piece duck breast (100g)
- Olive oil, salt, dried or fresh rosemary, pepper, minced garlic
- (Optional) 120g sweet potato/ potato
- Pat duck breast dry with paper towel, score the skin of the duck. Rub with a little bit of olive oil. Season the duck breast with salt, pepper, rosemary and minced garlic, let rest for a few hours.
- If you would like to try baking fries with duck fat, cut potato/sweet potato into thin slices, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place duck breast skin down in a cold non-stick pan, cook over medium heat until the skin becomes golden and oil comes out of the duck.
- Turn the duck breast over and continue cooking for 3 min or so.
- Pour the duck fat into fries, mix well.
- Bake duck breast and fries at 180°C. The duck (skin side up) takes about 8-12 min (adjust time according to personal preference, 8 min= ~medium rare), extend cooking time for the fries until they’re crispy.
- Let the duck breast rest on baking rack, cut into slices when it becomes not very hot to touch.
Juicy, tender, flavorful, this simple duck breast tastes just as good as the ones from restaurants.
And adding duck fat to the fries makes the fries even more delicious.