When I grew up in China, the exposure to western food was quite limited compared to today. Visiting Pizza Hut once in a while with family was probably one of my happiest moments as a kid. I always enjoyed the cream of mushroom soup with chicken offered at Pizza Hut China, so rich and satisfying.
The cream of mushroom soup recipe I’d like to share is a lighter version of the dish. It’s very simple and only requires one pot. Not as guilty, but still satisfying!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 80g chicken breast
- 150g cremini mushrooms
- 5g dried porcini
- 200-250ml porcini soaking water+unsalted broth
- 150ml milk
- 2-3 tbs whipping cream
- 1-2 tbs flour
- small cube butter
- optional: black truffle paste, parsley
- I used about 1 tsb butter (for the sake of healthier eating), you may add more butter if desire.
- The more flour you add, the thicker the soup becomes. Adjust according to your preference.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add drained chopped porcini, sliced mushrooms and bite-sized chicken pieces, stirring regularly.
- When chicken changes color on the outside and the mushrooms are slightly browned, add flour.
- Stir quickly for less than 1 min, make sure there’s no lump.
- Add milk, whipping cream, porcini soaking water and broth, stirring regularly until the soup’s slightly thickened. Add salt just before serving. Black truffle paste adds flavor to soup, but it’s optional. Garnish with chopped parsley if desire.
Serve warm. This light cream of mushroom soup goes perfectly with baguette/ toast.
Be careful not to eat too much carbs, I know, it’s hard though.
You can keep me warm on a cold day
Gamja-tang 감자탕 Korean Pork Bone Soup
Chinese Traditional Mao Er Duo Pasta
Hong Kong style shrimp wontons