If you have been to a cha chaan teng, you probably have seen or tried Lo mai gai (sticky rice chicken), which consists of glutinous rice,chicken and various other ingredients wrapped in a lotus leaf, then steamed. It is a warm and comforting dish. My version of sticky rice chicken contains more ingredients than the ones sold at cha chaan teng. With ingredients such as dried shrimps, scallops and salted egg yolk, this will be your next level lo mai gai!
Why bother going to cha chaan teng when you make better dim sum?
Ingredients (serves 2 ):
- 100g glutinous rice
- 140g chicken breast/thigh
- 2 tsb oyster sauce
- cooking wine to taste
- 15-20g dried scallops+dried mini shrimps
- 3-4 pieces dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 pieces salted egg yolk
- 1-2 tsb light soy sauce
- 1 tsb dark soy sauce
- sesame oil to taste
- 1 whole lotus leaf
- Soak glutinous rice in lots of water overnight. Cut chicken into bite size pieces, marinate with oyster sauce and cooking wine for several hours. Soak dried shrimps and scallops in water and cooking wine (to rid fishy taste). Reconstitute dried mushroom in water.
- Drain the reconstituted mushrooms, cut into small pieces. discard dried shrimps & scallops soaking water, tear up the scallops.
- Heat oil in a pan, add prepared mushroom pieces, dried scallops and shrimps, saute for 1-2 min. Then add marinated chicken, saute until chicken is fully cooked.
- Switch to low heat, add soaked glutinous rice (drained), soy sauce, drizzle sesame oil and 1-2 tbs mushroom soaking water, stir and mix well. Remove pan from heat.
- Soak dried lotus leaf in warm water until softened. Cut the middle of the leaf if it’s too hard to fold. Place sticky rice mixture in the middle of 1/2 lotus leaf and fold the leaf around it, make sure it’s tight.
- Steam for about 40 min (place steamer after water starts to boil).
Serve hot. Mix the salted egg yolk with the rice, simply scrumptious!
One serving in this recipe can be treated as a main, not too much glutinous rice added, still filling and satisfying. Unlike regular store bought lo mai gai that contains too much glutinous rice and little chicken, my version is so extravagantly loaded with chicken and other traditional Chinese ingredients full of umami.
Again, why bother spending money at a cha chaan teng?
Chinese version click here
CHINESE STEAMED SPARE RIBS WITH BLACK BEANS