These dumplings with whole shrimps are definitely not your average dumplings. Each dumpling contains pork & shrimp filling plus a whole shrimp. These dumplings are juicy, filling and full of protein. When you are bored of making regular dumplings, why not try making these beautiful dumplings with whole shrimps?
Ingredients (makes ~20):
- 150g ground pork
- 90g peeled shrimps
- 20 whole shrimps with shell
- 1-2 tbs cooking wine
- 1/2 tbs light soy sauce
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsb sesame oil
- 2 tbs cold water/broth
- black sesame seeds optional
- dumpling wrappers
- Use medium or lean ground pork, do not recommend using extra lean ground meat for dumplings.
- Finely chop the shrimps until they turn into paste/puree. Combine shrimp ‘puree’, ground pork, cooking wine, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt, pepper and black sesame seeds in a large bowl.
- Stir in the same direction, add cold water/broth in several additions. Continue stirring until ingredients are well combined. Take a tiny portion of the filling, microwave until cooked and taste it to adjust seasoning.
- Peel the shrimps, leaving tails intact. Cut each along its back and inside curve, do not cut through. Remove the sand vein.
- Place a spoonful of meat filling on a dumpling wrapper, place 1 whole shrimp (tail pointing up) on top.
- Moisten the edge of the wrapper with water then seal starting from one side, push the edges on both sides multiple times to completely seal the dumplings. TBH, as long as it’s perfectly sealed, doesn’t really matter how you seal them.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan, place the dumplings, pan fry over medium heat until the bottom turns golden.
- Add water to 1/3 height of dumplings (if fresh, to 1/2 if frozen). Cover pan with a lid, cook over medium.
- Remove lid once water is evaporated, switch to medium-high heat and continue pan frying until the bottom become crispy.. Garnish with chopped scallions and black sesame seeds if desire.
Serve the delicious shrimp dumplings immediately, ideally in the pan! So that dumplings are hot.
These shrimp dumplings are just so luxurious!
Read Chinese version here